Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Day 16

So, I've been told that adoptive moms can actually take hormones--and who knows what else--to produce milk so that they can actually breast feed their adoptive child. Ben and I talked about it briefly but both agreed that the process seems way too UN-natural.

The thought of going back on hormones after all the grueling infertility nonsense makes me want to scream "BEEN THERE DONE THAT--DIDN'T WORK--NO THANK YOU!" Going back to Jana Wolff's book...I agree with her--we have come to the same place--I'm tired of making my body do things that it clearly doesn't want to do. On that note, I read a very bizarre story of a woman who didn't want to mess with the hormones so she purchased a "rig" (for lack of a better word) that connected tubes to her nipples and attached to a warm bottle that hung around her neck. She agreed the process was complicated and not something one could ever do in public--but for her the bonding that took place between her and the baby was worth it. I can certainly appreciate her willingness....and even applaud her efforts...but seriously?

I believe that breast feeding is important for health and bonding...but I'm going to trust God on both accounts for our baby

3 comments:

  1. The "rig" thing sounds interesting. There are other "bonding" things you can do with baby that does not include breast feeding. I couldn't nurse PJ for a while because he was so sick when he was born...we bonded just fine and I didn't even get to hold the little guy until day 3 or 4. (Nobody else held him either...he is just fine!) I mean, it wasn't what we would have chosen, but God is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Teri!! Bonding takes place way beyond just feeding time. You have so much love to give. You are going to be an awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read that adoptive mothers can get their babies to suckle too, but that I would have to supliment anyway... and it takes a lot of effort and work and for some it doesn't work at all...we've decided my energies can be better spent elsewhere....we're doing formula.

    ReplyDelete