Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 136

Nothing new to report. We're still waiting... Ben thinks "waiting" has been way easier than our "waiting to wait" time. I agree.

We do have a shower on the books (yah!!!!!), Ben's going to register with me tomorrow, and we've almost made it through the entire baby name book (with 50,000 names!). I have to say, I'm SUPER excited about our names. I never thought we'd come to an agreement. I like really different names (I can't imagine having an AA child named "bob"), but Ben leans more to the conservative side. It's a miracle that we were able to find names that we both like, but we managed! We have three picked out for a little girl and two for a little boy (so far! We're only on the G's!) Unfortunately, I can't share them with you [gasp!] because Ben wants them vaulted, until it's time. They'll be worth the wait!

It's amazing the progression your heart can make in such a short amount of time. God is really exploding his grace in my heart and I can hardly contain myself. It seems like all the puzzle pieces are falling into place. My heart soared, today, when I read a heart-cry email from my husband.

His words inspire and encourage me. We're in this together. We're going all the way.

[Taken from an email he sent to another adopting friend, today]
It's my opinion that God doesn't spite us intentionally into these situations, but rather I see it as he gives us the abilities to redeem them. I don't view it as God has closed my wife's womb, but rather he's given us this incredible ability to love an unloved one and make him/her our own. He's taken the sh1tty circumstances that a fallen world...or physics...or whatever has given us and given us the abilities to overcome. Maybe he foresaw our challenges and gave us each the special traits we need to make it work. Someone might say, "Why are you adopting?" and lately I've almost wanted to just say, "Because we can. Because we are up to the challenge. Because we were prepared for such a time as this." Could he just come in and supernaturally conceive for us? Sure, and I bet he does for many people. But maybe this time, for us, he's chosen a different way. Because we are able. Because we can do more than we ever thought possible. Because he sees someone for us and is preparing the way even now. I don't know. It's glass half-full mentality for sure, but it's also the only way I can reconcile this (and other) situations with God.

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that reaaly touched me. Our motto has always been, "Why us....why not us!!" -kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. You guys both can write!!! Your hubby's words touched me. I think you either have a heart for adoption or not and I'm always surprised when people treat it like the "last option". Have fun registering (it's overwhelming). I'm jealous you are having a baby shower before placement b/c I wanted to wait and now I'm short lots of things and having to make due for 3 more weeks until my shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It is so funny how sometimes you need someone else to put your own feelings into words, but thats it! That is exactly how I think and feel (most of the time!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...waiting to wait was much harder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing!!!! God has blessed both of us with amazing husband!!! It has touch me greatly. Thanks for sharing!!!! =) We are still waiting too...ugggg!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you and your husband for those wonderful words. I'm rushing to grab my husband so he can read this. This is not a "last option" but rather a wonderful opportunity for a new family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! have fun registering!

    Isn't picking out names fun?! We have 3 girl names picked out (1 we are definitely using, the other two if we have twins or triplets!) and only one boy named picked out. Not sure what we will do if we have more than one boy. We also have middle names picked out.

    Love the email that your husband sent. It is really nice to see a man who is a believer and not afraid to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet heart your Ben has. I'm refreshed by his perspective on God and wholeheartedly agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vaulting the names is a great idea, someone always feels compelled to share about their uncle "bob" the criminal. I always gave outrageously fake names that made people wonder if I would really name my child Darth, (hope I didn't just reveal the name there).

    lovin you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. boy, isn't that the truth...about Ben' statement about why you guys are adopting and what God has enabled you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your husband has an amazing ability to put words together and express his thoughts. Congratulations!!!

    I know the waiting sucks but in the end it is all worth it. Sending good thoughts your way and hoping that the call comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta love that Ben of yours. It is awesome to see how the Lord has changed and prepared you both "for a time such as this". hope you had a great time registering tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the risk of sounding slightly like a parrot...I appreciated Ben's words about our God. Man, it sure does fit so many conversations my love and I have had. It's amazing how your understanding of God can change as you go through crap. But not change in a bitter, hurt, angry way. If you let it, God becomes more real, understanding, and, odd as it may sound, down to earth. And so do your relationships with others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rebekah. So excited about the news of your "waiting" status! I haven't been blogging much lately and therefore haven't checked in on you guys lately, and what a surprise I found tonight!!! the waiting is definitely easier than the previous waiting to wait, in my experience. Now, you can just rest, physically, cause you'll be needing energy sooner than you think...emotionally, cause you'll definitely be on a rollercoaster of emotions when you are chosen and from then on, and spiritually, you can just rest in the Lord and know that He is at work on behalf of a child that is in great need of you and you of him. Congrats, again, on "waiting"

    ReplyDelete